Saturday, June 27, 2009

Chicago Young Life Update


Hi friends,

Sorry it's been a while since I updated you guys. I promise to make it more often now that things are getting a bit more settled.

So I have some exciting news! We're going to camp!! I was able to talk to some donors and the price per kid went down from $320 to $100!! Thank you God and thank you donors!

So yeah, I'm going to camp, but with who?!?!?!?!

Well, I'm so thankful also because I've been meeting parents and kids and have had great success! Every child and every parent that I've spoken to is really excited to be a part of what is happening and what is going to happen. So far, I've met with the following kids that I'm sure you'll get to know over time :)

- Nathan Roman
- Hector Hiraldo
- Joseph Ruidias
- Justin Ostoaiza
- JJ - Justin's cousin who will also likely go to camp!
- Eric Castillo (I'm picking him up to take him to Portillo's in a bit :))
- Eduardo

There are 3 kids that I'm still meeting this week, but everyone above I've had a chance to meet him, parents, and some even hung out with me (or I with them) in the last week.

I'm also excited because are so willing to hang out and do things. Maybe it's because they are SUPER bored now that they are out of school, but I'd like to think that at 29 (almost - Aug 2) I can still relate to kids :)

We've played basketball and will do so again next week. And we'll also go to a public pool next week as well. We already have plans of going paintballing, to Great America, and other fun stuff.

I've really enjoyed meeting the mothers as well (I have only met 1 father) because they are so protective of their sons and they are so willing to bring me into their lives as help for the time that they cannot be with them. I've spoken in Spanish with most mothers even though most are bilingual. They immediately heard my Argentinean Spanish and knew I was not Puerto Rican. haha. Most Latino's here are Puerto Rican and the Argentinean accent is like comparing US English with English from England.

I'm still speaking with donors and attempting to connect with more people. Anna and I have not yet found a permanent home church to go to, so we are still in need of a church community, but we are happy to have good friends that we knew from before. Anna is also starting to seriously look for jobs this upcoming week as we need her to find something by, at the latest, middle of August.

Thank you guys for your thoughts and prayers.

More to come soon! I want to introduce you guys to my kids one by one with pictures and video :)

Blessings!
Pablo
805.698.1615

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

 

Pablo Emmanuel Otaola. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com