Monday, December 15, 2008

Laid Off - Day 12


Sorry I've lagged on the daily blogging. I'm such a busy person. And not necessarily busy in the good way. Sure I've taken out some time to read and be with the LORD, but I fell that the day passes so quickly and I still have things to do... anyways...

There's a lot to catch up on. I was fighting against being a bit depressed this past week because nothing was coming back to me. I mean, I sent out so many resumes and the only one that called me back was one to say that the position had been filled. There was one interview that went really well for a local company that I'll mention later. My friend Adrian Spinelli who worked at the Santa Barbara News-Press with me works there as a sales representative now and he recommended me for the Marketing Manager position. That would be awesome! I'm excited to see where that possibility goes. I have actually been thinking of marketing for that past year and how I think I would fit there pretty well since I have Design, Marketing, and Advertising experience in both print and online. Most of my experience is online, but I've had to learn about print as well. I can see myself getting into marketing and staying there for a very long time.

Well, I interviewed this company and it went pretty well. They work with high end technology and I would love to have this opportunity. However, they weren't calling me back or writing me an email. The guy I interviewed with told me that he would be very busy during the upcoming week (which was last week) and that he wouldn't have too much time to look at the past design work that I sent him. So, he said that he'd get back to me as soon as he could. The interview that I had with him was on Tuesday the 9th and I had sent him a sample of previous work that night.

I had not heard anything from this guy or any other prospects by Thursday the 11th and I was getting a little bummed. I prayed against that and the LORD totally gave me joy in Him!

of course He did...

Friday morning I was reading a book called "The Heavenly Man" and wrote a post about it that you can see by clicking here. If you don't read the Heavenly Man post, then just know that it was ALL about surrendering my heart fully to the LORD.

I was totally willing to have the LORD take me anywhere that He wants me to go in any job that He wants me to do. I have to admit, however, that I was not thinking that I would ever leave Santa Barbara or the surrounding area.

*Do you see the foreshadowing????*

So, as I finished writing my post (that I think you should read to understand where my heart was), the phone rings. It was Tony Gonzalez from San Francisco Urban Young Life. We caught up for a couple of minutes and he tells me that he has been thinking and praying about me for the last couple of weeks and that he wanted to know if I was till interested in working with at risk youth. I of course told him that I was indeed interested and that I had just been laid off the previous week... AND... that i had been just praying that the LORD use me and take me wherever He wants. So I ended up sending Tony my resume before we finished speaking on the phone. He mentioned to me that this position was for Latino brothers and sisters that have a passion for Latino at risk youth and that would like to step into a FT position. He mentioned to me that this was for a position anywhere in the country since there are a lot of places with great needs. Young Life realizes that the most under-served population in the US within the Young Life network are Latinos. And, while Young Life now has a program to train Latinos, this program was not yielding enough Latino Leaders to meet the demands across the country. So, Young Life was starting to think outside of the current Young Life Latino leaders.

Another great thing about this opportunity is that YL recognizes that it might be better for there to be a team of two or three people to be sent out so Tony asked me for Anna's resume as well! So, Anna flipped at the idea of being employed full time with me. And, if Anna decides not be a part of YL, then they would be able to pass her resume around the city that we would go to to see if they can give her a job somewhere in the proposed city.

That's scary... but exciting...but scary...

LORD I wasn't thinking that You would actually send me send me... like out-of-santa-barbara send me :)

This would mean that I would leave my family, my friends, my church that I was starting to feel part of. Man, on my knees I go!

So, just as I was starting to feel excited about this opportunity. Just after I called Anna and my dad about this I get another phone call. This phone call was from my friend Mo Gettings who has been in the sales industry in Santa Barbara for 26 years! She told me that I could call a guy that we both knew to start on some immediate sales PT job to get some extra cash. WOOHOO! I haven't gotten his contact info yet, but as soon as I do I'll contact him right away. She also told me of another position with a long time radio station here in SB that needs an online sales representative. She already called the guy and I should be getting a call from him today or tomorrow :) So things, all of a sudden, were livening up. Go figure, when I think that there's nothing, Young Life calls... Then when I get excited about YL, I get a phone call with two job opportunities. One of which would be making some good money! So no doors, no becomes 3.

Of course... that's not it...

Seconds after I talk to my friend Mo, I go online and see that I got an email back from the Marketing Manager opportunity saying that he's been super busy, but that he'll get back to me as soon as he had time and as soon as he interviews a couple of other people which should be this week. When it rains with the LORD, it really does pour!

3 doors now become 4. Granted it's not 4 totally open doors asking and begging for me to walk through them, but it's doors nonetheless. I didn't think that there WERE doors. Well, at least doors that I could see in my microwave mindset :)

So now what? Like I said earlier.... on my knees. If it was for money, I would stay in SB. And I am a little about making good money with my wife so that we can get out of debt. But I'm not about money at all when it comes to Kingdom work.

We'll see what happens. And you'll hear what happens soon as well...

PS - I'm trying to do my health insurance online and the frieking program keeps on having technical difficulties!! FRUSTRATION is NOT my friend!

1 comments:

Pastor Hugo Otaola on December 16, 2008 at 8:53 AM said...

On your knees, son! That's when He will you His directions that are the BEST!
Love you both!
Dad

Post a Comment

Followers

 

Pablo Emmanuel Otaola. Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Revolution Two Church theme by Brian Gardner Converted into Blogger Template by Bloganol dot com